The ranking results are in from our October 23 Apple and Cheese Tasting event held at Monticello’s Tufton Farm, and it seems that our 2021 participants share a favorite variety with Thomas Jefferson!
On a picture perfect fall day, more than 150 guests joined us for a unique opportunity to taste heirloom and conventional apples and learn about the history of this fine fruit from our featured guest speaker – Charlotte Shelton of Albemarle CiderWorks. This year, for the first time, a specially curated selection of cheeses was provided by our good friends at Wegmans to pair with each of the eight apples sampled .
Following the tasting, visitors walked the grounds of our beautiful farm, explored antique apple peelers and presses presented by The Richard D. & Carolyn W. Jacques Foundation, tried their hand at Kids’ Apple Zone activities and enjoyed a selection of apple-based food items specially prepared for the event by Monticello Farm Table Executive Chef David Bastide.
See how our tasting participants ranked their favorite apples, cheeses and pairings:
Apple: 8 varieties tasted
- 1st place…by an undisputed margin…Albemarle Pippin
- 2nd place…Ralls Genet
- 3rd place…missed 2nd by one measly vote!…Ashmead’s Kernel
- 4th place…but right on the heels of 2nd and 3rd…Black Twig
Cheeses: 4 varieties tasted
- 1st place…Wegmans’ Brand 26-month Cheddar
- 2nd and 3rd place…it’s a tie!…Wegmans’ Brand 18-month Gouda; Havarti
Favorite Apple and Cheese Pairing: almost too close to call!
- 1st place…by only one vote!…Ashmead’s Kernel with Wegmans’ Brand 26-month Cheddar
- 2nd place…Albemarle Pippin and Wegmans’ Brand 26-month Cheddar
- 3rd place…Ralls Genet with Wegmans’ Brand 18-month Gouda