Monticello’s popular apple tasting event is back, with new and expanded activities for the entire family!
Supermarkets today provide only a limited sample of the thousands of apple varieties available in nineteenth-century America. While there were more than a dozen varieties cultivated at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson concentrated mainly on four types of apples: the Newtown (Albemarle) Pippin and Esopus Spitzenburg for cidermaking, and the Hewes’ Crab and Taliaferro for dessert fruit.
Join us on Saturday, October 23, for the unique opportunity to taste and compare heirloom and conventional apples, sample cheese pairings and hard ciders, see Monticello’s Tufton Farm and learn about the history of apples from our featured guest speaker, Charlotte Shelton, of Albemarle CiderWorks.
Apple and Cheese Tasting participants will:
- Taste, savor and rate heirloom and contemporary apple varieties including (new!) cheese pairings, presented by Wegmans
- Explore antique apple peelers and presses, presented by The Richard D. & Carolyn W. Jacques Foundation
- Drop by the Kids’ Apple Zone for crafts and play activities
- Enjoy complimentary hard cider tastings, provided by Albemarle CiderWorks
- Celebrate the season with apple-based food items, prepared by Monticello Farm Table café and available for purchase
- Purchase from a limited selection of Monticello apple trees!
Capacity is limited for this event. Purchase your tickets early to avoid disappointment!
This event is held at Monticello’s TUFTON FARM, located at 1293 Tufton Farm, Charlottesville, VA 22902. Tickets are required for entry and parking is free.
Children 11 and under attend free but must register.
IMPORTANT WEATHER NOTE: Rain back-up date for the event is Sunday, 10/24/2021 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Weather call will be made at 2 PM on Friday, 10/22/2021. Ticket holders will be notified by email ONLY if the rain back-up date is in effect.
This is an outdoor event with uneven terrain on a level grade. Children ages 7 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times.